Monday, September 21, 2009

it's different when they are your children

i have been around dogs my whole life. my grandfather used to raise bird dogs for hunting and i have seen many a bird dog born. i have also witnessed many a dog fight and am thus quite familiar with the very wise rule of never, ever getting in between two dogs who have tied up. it's different when they are your children. my girlfriend has two boxers and they both get along quite well with my dog, that is until the other night. one of her boxers got into quite the bout with my dog and try as we did, we could not separate them and i was terrified that it would end in an emergency vet visit for one or both dogs. they are both my children. i did the thing you are never supposed to do and that was, i put my leg in between them to separate them. my own dog bit me. oh boy. it is one thing to get bit by a stray and quite another to have your own adorable dog puncture the oh so tender flesh of your left leg. oh well. at least the puppies are ok, if somewhat scarred. my dog got a nasty cut on her ear that seemed so much more horrific since ear wounds bleed like head traumas. thank god for level headed girlfriends that staunch ear wounds and then tend to bite marks on their dumb girlfriend's leg. thanks S, you are really so much more than i ever could have hoped for.

No comments: